Education beyond the classroom overview
At Olive AP Academy – Thurrock, it is our mission to give students access to the knowledge, qualifications, and wider experiences they need to develop to their potential and to participate in and make a positive contribution to society.
We strive for all students to have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of activities and experiences, including those that are outside what is being taught in the classroom. Examples of this include: during lunch, after school and school holidays. It is our intent that, by providing these opportunities, students will develop as:
- Respectful and responsible members of society
- Happy and successful young people who seek excellence for themselves and others
- Mentally, physically, and socially healthy members of society
Extra-curricular activities are an integral part of the ethos of the Academy. They provide students with an opportunity to enhance their learning, their personal development, wellbeing and develop wider knowledge in real world contexts.
Extra-curricular activities are planned as an opportunity to extend the students wider experience outside of the formal curriculum. These opportunities are available to all students in all subjects and beyond.
- Encourage students’ participation in a wide range of extra-curricular activities
- Encourage the positive use of leisure time by recognising and celebrating students’ achievements outside of school
- Offer valuable opportunities for visits and residential experiences in a variety of extra-curricular areas
- Encourage students’ social development by making a positive contribution to their community and wider society
- Enhance the ethos and image of the academy in the community.